Welcome to the Paddle Your Own Kanoo community. This is your place to discuss all things about being or becoming a member of cabin crew – created and run by serving cabin crew. Unlike other forums, we actively moderate and develop our site.
Like any community, the quality of your experience depends upon the goodwill, consideration, and civility of everyone. While participating here, you are expected to be respectful and helpful. The following rules help guide everyone toward that goal. By posting on PYOK, you agree to be governed by these rules.
PYOK is actively moderated. When posts don’t comply with the following rules, the moderators may remove or edit them or request that you do so. Moderators will use their best judgment and common sense will prevail in situations that are not explicitly addressed by these rules. Members who violate the rules may see their posts edited or deleted and face disciplinary action, up to and including the revocation of posting privileges.
To post on PYOK, you must register an account and select a username. The following rules apply to usernames:
- Usernames cannot be a URL or an email address.
- They must contain only characters of the Roman alphabet and/or Arabic numerals.
- They are subject to all the other rules of the PYOK Community(e.g. those that forbid the furthering of illegal or fraudulent activities, the use of profanity, vulgarity, hatred, abusiveness and harassment). In other words, appropriateness is required.
- For privacy purposes, it is strongly recommended that you not use your real name in your username.
- If your username is long, please incorporate spaces so that it does not distort the column width, or it may be changed by an administrator.
- Travel industry professionals who are registering an account in order to post in an official capacity on behalf of their employer should contact the PYOK team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org once you have registered an account.
- You may not use multiple usernames and doing so will subject you to suspension of all usernames you have registered. The only exception to this rule is approved travel industry professionals, who may also have a personal username in addition to their official company username.
- Should you have second thoughts regarding your choice of a username, one-time changes can be arranged by contacting us at email@example.com
- Username changes are only available to members with fewer than 500 posts.
You are allowed to create a profile containing information about yourself. The following rules apply to profiles on PYOK:
- Profiles are subject to the rules governing all PYOK content (e.g. those which forbid the furthering of illegal or fraudulent activities, the use of profanity, vulgarity, hatred, abusiveness and harassment).
- Use your profile to share information such as your location, airlines you have worked for (in the past) and airlines you have applied to work for.
- Place spaces between words so that your profile does not distort the column width.
- You are encouraged to use caution with the information you include in your profile — it’s strongly suggested that you guard your privacy.
- You may include a picture of yourself in your user profile. Images and emoticons may not be inserted into any other profile fields.
A personalized signature is available to you. Because these signatures appear at the bottom of every post you make, the following rules apply in order to minimize distraction within the forums:
- Signatures are subject to the rules governing all PYOK content (e.g. those which forbid the furthering of illegal or fraudulent activities, the use of profanity, vulgarity, hatred, abusiveness and harassment).
- Affiliate or referral links resulting in any form of compensation are not permitted in signatures.
- Commercial signatures are not allowed.
- Signatures of a religious or political nature are not allowed.
- Signatures containing direct links away from PYOK to charitable activities are not allowed.
- Graphically, your signature must conform to the following standards:
- Use no larger than the PYOK default posting font size.
- Limit it to two lines.
- Limit the use of emoticons or other highlighting characters/symbols/other keystrokes to 2 (total) per signature.
- Do not use spaces, characters, symbols or other keystrokes that stretch your signature beyond standard column widths.
- Do not use all-caps, alternating caps, alternating use of color, or other unconventional methods of attracting attention to your signature. Two emoticons, characters, symbols or other key strokes in addition to text are permitted.
- Do not embed images of any kind in your signature.
Should you wish to not see signatures at all, you may shut them off. You can do so in the Edit Options section of your personal profile. If you have any questions as to whether your intended signature is acceptable, or to report a signature you believe violates the rules, contact the Signature Review Team.
Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread’s title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.
Stay On Topic
PYOK’s niche is cabin crew / flight attendant and general aviation news. Please confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
Don’t post your topic more than once. Duplicate threads or posts will be deleted, combined or locked. You may cross reference a post in another forum.
Linking To Content On Other Websites
PYOK is here for the purpose of sharing meaningful information. Don’t simply post a link by itself to another source, such as an article or blog. Posts containing such links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to the PYOK Community itself.
If linking to your own blog, to a blog on behalf of someone, or to a blog of which you are a periodic or regular contributor, you must identify that fact in your post and you must include enough content for the PYOK post to stand on its own without following the link. Do not post repeatedly in a manner that has the effect or purpose of driving traffic to a blog or website.
Exceptions to this rule include:
- Linking to a travel program website page containing information relevant to the discussion (such as a ticketing rule or terms & conditions of a promotion being discussed in the thread);
- Linking to the websites of established news organizations or to company press releases with details of an ongoing news event (such as an airline or hotel incident). In such a case, merely providing the headline of the new item along with a link to it, without posting additional content, is allowable.
Posts that do not conform to these rules may be deleted and repetitive offenses may subject the poster to discipline.
Posting Of Images
You may embed non-animated images in your posts. Your images must conform to all PYOK content rules, must convey relevant, on-topic information and are not allowed in signature lines or user profiles other than in the space designated in your profile for your picture. Please size your images large enough to get your point across but not so that they distort PYOK standard column widths.
Posting Copyrighted Material
Do not post information protected by copyright or owned by another without the owner’s consent. If you infringe on someone else’s rights you will be held solely responsible. PYOK will not be held responsible for information you post that may violate copyright law.
When posting a news article or other published information, credit the source of the information and give a brief, one-to-three paragraph summary or clip of the content, providing an appropriate link and/or cite to its source.
PYOK community is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter.
Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content
Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming
The PYOK Community is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.
Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. ‘Snarky,’ unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don’t have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.
Unhelpful posts, such as “Do a search” or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others’ posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can’t be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.
Avoid Getting Personal
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
The PYOK Community is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).
If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the ‘Alert a moderator to this thread’ button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see
Disruptive or repetitive posting
Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.
Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or ‘piling-on’ by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
Posts must be contributive to the thread and/or the topic of the forum.
All content must be of a size and color such that it is comfortably readable.
Post-padding or other methods of repeated posting to artificially inflate a post count, enhance visibility on the board, or for any other reason, are not allowed.
Deceptive, Dishonest, Illegal Or Fraudulent Posting
Posts that misquote or mischaracterize other posts or members, or contain deceptive, dishonest or knowingly inaccurate information are not allowed.
Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.
Use Of Obscene Or Offensive Language/Material
Posts containing obscene, profane, vulgar, abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing, or otherwise offensive language or material will not be tolerated.
Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
If you consider a post by another member to fit into this category, please refer it to the moderator team for action and refrain from drawing further attention to it by posting a reply.
Posts that stalk or harass other posters in any way are strictly prohibited.
Discussion Of Moderator Actions
Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.
Private Messages, Emails And FlyerTalk Chat
The private messaging, email and chat systems are subject to the same rules as PYOK Community posts. If you have received a message that you believe violates the rules, contact a moderator or senior moderator. The posting or otherwise sharing of a private communication, such as an email or private message without the author’s permission, whether on this forum or elsewhere, is not permitted.
Respect the privacy of other members and non-members. Do not post private information of others.
When You Believe Someone Has Violated The Rules
When you believe someone has violated the rules of the PYOK Community, DO NOT respond by posting in a thread. Instead, report the post to a Moderator, either by Private Message, or by sending a note by clicking on the “Alert a Moderator to this Post” icon, which appears in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post. Then, please leave the issue to the moderator team to handle — do not post your concern in the thread.
Consequences Of Rule Violations And Discipline
Violations of these rules subject you to one or more of the following consequences:
- Edit or deletion of the concerned post or thread;
- Reduction of post count;
- Exclusion from posting in specified forums; and
- Formal warning, suspension or revocation of FlyerTalk membership and posting privileges.
Appealing Disciplinary Action
If you receive discipline, including the limiting of access to a forum, you may appeal by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes To And Scope Of Rules
PYOK reserves the right to make changes to these rules at any time. As it is impossible to address in these rules every situation which may arise on the PYOK Community, posts made to these forums may be disallowed even if one of these rules does not expressly prohibit the post.